Donna left the corporate world more than twenty years ago to pursue her love of fiber art and of knitting and fiber history. An iconoclastic traditionalist, or a traditional iconoclast, she is a popular teacher as well as author. She travels widely and digs deeply to bring wonderful information and knowledge to other knitters, with knitting-centric pilgrimages to Alaska in 2004 and to Lithuania in 2007, 2008, and 2009 (shes learning Lithuanian, too).
Donnas books so far include:
- Ethnic Knitting Exploration: Lithuania, Iceland, and Ireland (Nomad Press)
- Ethnic Knitting Discovery: The Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, and The Andes (Nomad Press)
- Kitty Knits: Projects for Cats and Their People (Martingale)
- Arctic Lace: Knitted Projects and Stories Inspired by Alaska’s Native Knitters (Nomad Press)
- The Knitted Rug: 21 Fantastic Designs (Lark Books)
If its been more than six months or so since this page was updated, that list is likely to be incomplete.
Donnas designs and articles have been featured in Family Circle Easy Knitting, Knitters, Piecework, Interweave Knits, Fibre Focus, and INKnitters magazines, and she designs patterns for several yarn companies.
An approachable, practical, and relaxed instructor, she teaches in North America and Europe and, soon, on some knitting cruises.
Donna’s website and blog can be found at www.sheeptoshawl.com.